FM-200 and CO2 Fire Suppression Systems
Developed as a Halon replacement, FM-200® is the best people-compatible, clean agent fire protection for vital facilities. It extinguishes fire through a combination of chemically-based fire inhibition and cooling. It is environmentally acceptable, safe to use with sensitive equipment, fast acting, efficient and effective.
Benefits of Using FM-200®
- Fast-Acting - FM-200® can stop fires in just seconds. Extinguishing fires quickly means less damage, repair costs and extra safety.
- Safe For People - FM-200® has been tested extensively to ensure safe exposure to people.
- No Collateral Damage - FM-200® does not leave oily residues, particulates, water, or corrosive material. This eliminates collateral damage to delicate equipment.
- Environmentally Responsible - FM-200® has a low environmental impact because it has a low atmospheric lifetime. It also has zero potential to deplete the ozone layer.
- Small Space Requirement - Other fire suppression systems, such as CO2 and inert gases require as much as seven times more storage space.
- Globally Accepted - FM-200® is the most widely accepted clean agent in the world. It is used in tens of thousands of fire suppression systems.
CO2 systems are the preferred choice as an extinguishant for a multitude of critical facilities. Fast, efficient and adaptable to a wide range of hazards, the discharge of carbon dioxide [a low-cost clean agent] is non-damaging to property and electrically non-conductive. Multi-Hazard Protection can be designed to provide automatic, simultaneous discharge for a variety of hazards and configurations.
CO2 systems are used for:
- Power Generation
- Cement Plant/Blast Furnace Indirect Coal Firing Systems
- Metal Production and Processing
- Electronics Operations
- Electronics/Computer Production
- Research Facilities
- Shipboard (Marine) Systems
- Automated Storage and Retrieval Facilities
Low pressure CO2 systems and equipment are best suited for applications where large quantities of CO2 are needed. A high pressure systems are recommended for smaller hazards or where space is limited.
Benefits of CO2 Systems
- Fast - Within seconds, CO2 penetrates the entire hazard areas to smother the combustion.
- Environmentally Friendly - CO2 exists as a gas in the earth's atmosphere and is one of the by-products of combustion. It's use has no environmental impact.
- Non-damaging - CO2 does not cause spoilage, requires no clean up and leaves no residue.
- Non-conductive - CO2 is electrically non-conductive, allowing use for a wide variety of special applications.
- Adaptive - CO2 is effective on a wide range of flammable and combustible materials.
A CO2 system consists of one or more banks of cylinder storage containers to supply the CO2 extinguishing agent. Flexible discharge hoses connect the cylinders into a piping manifold. The manifold distributes the agent into the piping network. Nozzles regulate the flow of CO2 into the protected area.