Alternative Systems for Fire Protection
When it comes to fire suppression, there are several different solutions to satisfy your fire suppression needs and adequately protect your facility. Many alternative agents are safe for human exposure, provide rapid dissipation yielding no residue, are electrically non-conductive, economical, and prove extremely effective in extinguishing fires and preventing explosions. These agents work well in environments where water is not effective at putting out fires.
Comply with Environmental Regulations
We are abreast of the most up-to-date environmental regulations on fire-suppressing agents, such as:
- Ozone Depletion Potential
- Global Warming Potential
- Atmospheric Lifetime
Alternative Agents to Consider
In compliance with these guidelines, here are some agents to consider:
- Argonite: Leaves no residue behind, creates no ozone depletion. Typically used in server rooms and data centers.
- Carbon Dioxide: Safe and non-conductive. Often used in machine and metal shops, and around electrical panels.
- Dry Chemical: Economical option for vehicle systems used in mining, logging operations, and spray booths.
- FM-200: Best option in clean agent fire protection. It’s safe, leaves no damaging residue, and is a high-level green product, causing very low environmental impact.
- Foam: Used in airport hangers. Stops the spread of fire instantly by mixing with water system to create a bubble bath flame suppressant. Also used in chemical storage and manufacturing.
- Liquid Agents: Wet chemical systems used in commercial kitchens.
- Water Mist: Economical option – special nozzles create a fine mist to fight fire, so as to cool the area without dousing electrical equipment. Commonly used in the engine rooms of Navy vessels and cruise ships.
Choosing an Alternative Agent
If you need assistance in choosing the agent that is right for you, hire the help of certified and trained fire protection professional. They will be able to identify the best, most effective and most economical alternative agents for your diverse commercial and industrial needs. We design, install, and service a wide variety of fire suppression systems. Contact the Western States team to learn about which alternative agent is right for your fire suppression system.