When deciding on your top priority items for the data center, security, power consumption, and data protection all land on the top of the list. But the one thing that all data centers should have is a state of the art fire protection, suppression detection system. This item is often overlooked in the early planning stages of the data center, producing a fire protection system that meets insurance, and building/fire department requirements, but does not address the specific risk of the facility.
Down time $ loss can be measured by the millisecond in a data center. Fire protection systems that are not tailored to the specific needs of the data center can lead to total facility shutdown, complete equipment compromise, and what should take hours to recover from can take months.
FIRE PROTECTION STRATEGY
- Training – train all data center employees in the use and operation of portable fire extinguishers, fire protection systems, and abort mechanisms.
- Egress plan – fire extinguishers, and abort mechanisms located on the prescribed route, allowing for immediate mitigation.
- Clean agent fire suppression systems – non-conductive, non-corrosive, specific application, residue free, targeted fire protection.
- Dry pipe sprinkler systems – preventing water from entering sensitive areas unless an uncontrolled fire situation exists (last resort extinguishment)
- Intelligent Fire Alarms – to control and manage point specific fire protection systems, in conjunction with building automation systems, to provide collaborative systems control during an emergency.
The team of professionals at Western States Fire Protection will work with you, the developer, and the general contractor to develop your strategic plan. From concept, engineering, installation, training, to the recurring testing maintenance, Western States Fire Protection has the experience necessary to meet your specific data center fire protection needs.
Professional references are available upon request. Our long term repeat customers include:
- Intel – NM, AZ, CO, CA, OR
- eBay Data Center
- Digital Realty
- Holder Construction
- And many others…
We look forward to the opportunity to assist you with any of your fire protection needs. Our team will collaborate and work with you to find the solution for your specific application.