Both FM 200 and NOVEC 1230 are clean agents used for fire suppression in occupied settings that are sensitive to water. They are both considered halon replacements that are discharged within ten seconds as a non-toxic gas, suitable for Class A, B, and C fire hazards. NOVEC 1230 has been replacing FM 200 systems, here’s why!
NOVEC 1230 v FM 200 Use in Occupied Areas
Clean agent systems are often used in areas that are occupied, meaning they have to be considered safe for human contact. Both NOVEC 1230 and FM 200 have been deemed safe and do not displace oxygen, keeping the area safe as people evacuate.
NOVEC 1230 is efficient at a lower concentration, giving a larger margin of error to retain the No Observable Adverse Effects Level (NOAEL). NOVEC 1230 is used at a 4-6% concentration with a NOAEL of 10% while FM 200 is used at a 6.7-8.7% concentration with a NOAEL of 9%. While both are considered safe, NOVEC 1230 has a larger margin of error for concentration level fluctuation.
Fire suppression systems have been a concern for environmentalists, as chemical compounds release gas that can cause damage to the environment. This is why FM 200 was developed, to replace the halon systems that were seen as damaging. FM 200 doesn’t cause any ozone depletion, making it a much safer alternative to halon. Now, NOVEC 1230 has been developed as an improved alternative, with a much lower global warming potential and atmospheric lifetime than the former FM 200.
Both NOVEC 1230 and FM 200 clean agent fire suppression systems are stored in cylinders. NOVEC 1230 is stored as a liquid and requires a larger storage area than FM 200 which is stored as a gas. Both of these systems are deployed as a gas but differ in how the chemical compound is stored and the amount necessary to safely deplete any flames.
We Can Recommend the Best System for You!
At WSFP, we design and install fire suppression systems that are best suited for your application! We are recommending the NOVEC 1230 systems for new builds that have the capacity for increased cylinder storage due to the lesser environmental impact and improved safety for occupied spaces. Contact us today and we can help you determine which system fits the safety needs of your property!
Western States Fire Protection has begun a new campaign intended to connect clientele life safety systems to a centralized cloud platform. The Honeywell Connected Life Safety Services (CLSS) campaign is meant to support system integrators and facility managers with enhanced fire safety services. While the NFPA has found that 92% of sprinkler systems activated properly in the event of a fire, that still leaves 8% of systems that do not discharge. The number one reason was due to the system being previously shut off and not properly reactivated.
What is CLSS?
A CLSS system begins with a cloud-based platform which is connected to one or more fire alarm panels in a building, allowing users to monitor all system functions in real time. This allows users to better understand the ins and outs of the relevant fire system, including the ability to suggest upgrades and needs before parts of the system give out or become obsolete. These systems are easy to monitor on a variety of platforms ranging from desktop to mobile and are backed with cybersecurity protocols to help keep your systems safe.
Benefits of Honeywell CLSS for system integrators and providers:
Real-time insight into the health and status of the fire alarm and all connected peripherals in the relevant system.
Detailed system statuses allow for targeted repair and maintenance.
Remote capabilities for technicians to disable outputs, activate sounders, reset the panel(s), confirm location through LED activation, and even update device labels using their phone or tablet.
Assist in providing end-user life cycle costs and reports.
Generates digital compliance reports post-maintenance or inspection.
CLSS for system owners and facility management:
Predictive display of lifetime cost for fire system maintenance and repair.
Stores proof of compliance with all mandated requirements.
Cross-site connectivity that allows site managers to react quickly to incidents based on operational information.
A holistic view of all your facilities that ensures all sites are operating properly and tracks operational compliance, as well as all events such as fire, faults, troubles, and disablements.
Built-in cybersecurity technology that proactively monitors the cybersecurity landscape and help to safeguard data stored.
Building a Better Future with CLSS
With this new campaign, WSFP’s vision is to provide top-tier protection and compatibility. If you have a Honeywell system, or any fire protection/life safety system that does not have centralized cloud compatibility, this may be a sign to switch. Contact your local branch today for more information on the advantages of monitoring with CLSS.